SEO for School and Course Website – Meta tags are pieces of text describing a webpage’s content – the meta tags do not show on the page, but only in the html code of it, “behind the scenes”. Moreover, LearnWorlds uses these tags to optimize how your content will look when shared across social media sites.
Have you ever shared a link on Facebook only to find that the thumbnail was missing, or there was a totally different picture than you expected? This will never happen to your LearnWorlds courses!
Will meta tags help with SEO?
Yes, meta tags can improve the CTR (click through rate) of a search engine result, which plays a big role in attracting students and improving your overall search engine rankings. Google announced back in 2009 that it does not include meta tags in the factors for ranking, however we know for a fact that CTR is one of the factors, which means they indirectly affect your ranking too.
- Title Tag – This is the title you can see at your browser tabs and Google (and other search engines) will use that as the “title” of your page.
- Meta Description – A short description of the contents of the page. It is what commonly appear underneath the blue clickable links in a search engine results page.
- Meta Keywords – Used to identify important words or categories. While they are not widely used by Google anymore, they could help with other search engines & social networks indexing.
Keep in mind that meta tags also help search engines identify the content of your page, however make sure that your meta tags accurately reflect the content of your pages: today’s search engines are too smart to be tricked by staffing your page with irrelevant keywords.
SEO for School and Course Website – Meta Descriptions
Meta-Descriptions are the short text shown below the Title & link of a search result or a social media post’s description. Meta descriptions can be any length, but search engines generally show only 160 characters. Sometimes, a search engine will choose its own description of the page based on what is more relevant to the search query (the text that someone was looking for).
Your goal with a Meta-Description is to give a concise summary of a specific page’s content. Your main goal is to show how relevant and helpful your page is to the search of the user. The more users that get convinced, the better the Click-Through-Rate and boost to your website’s clicks and may also affect your SEO ranking – SEO for Scool and Course Website.
Writing compelling copy for your meta-description and meta-title is very important for your whole marketing strategy and can affect your course sales.
Actionable advice for your course’s meta-description:
- Keep it below 160 characters
- Avoid the same description on multiple pages
- Check the Google Web Manager and if your CTR is low change your meta-description and/or meta-title to try something better
- WordPress Websites: Download and use the Yoast SEO plugin
- Add Meta-Description & Meta-Keywords to your online courses and school (see below)
Meta tags help with Social Media Sharing
Another reason to choose carefully your meta tags is that virtually all social sharing sites like Facebook, use a page’s meta description tag as the description that appears when the page is shared. Without a meta description they may just use the first text they can find. Depending on the first text on your page, this might not create a good user experience.
However, social media sites use even more meta data tags (called Open Graph meta tags, a standard created by none other than Facebook). LearnWorlds automatically creates all the meta tags needed for all major social media sites to make sure that you get the best possible performance of your links on social media.